Here we go.

26 January 2013

Guy & gals, let's talk.

Let's pretend that I clipped an article from page 13 of the current issue of the Arkansas Times for you to look at.  It's a piece on some bills that have been proposed by members of this 89th General Assembly.  I know you're real busy, but will you peep this?  It's pretty awful, so brace yourself, but you need to know.




Frankly, I don't know what we should do.  Sadly, these people were elected in by voters.  We have never needed bold, progressive leaders and innovators so bad!  Art, too!  I think people just like to be safe in their opinions and jobs.  I get that.  But, we are being ushered back into gross times and are pretty much allowing it.  Sometimes, signing a petition and voting (and then Insta-ing the I VOTED sticker) isn't enough.  Is civil disobedience something that we will need to work towards? 


I recently read that the Sierra Club is reconsidering it's ban on civil disobedience regarding the B.C. pipelines.
“Governments on both sides of the border should take note … that the oldest and largest environmental organization in North America has become so concerned about the lack of action on climate change that it’s setting aside a long-held commitment to act only within the law,” declared a statement Wednesday by Sierra Club Canada. 
“Science, logic and huge public support for action have all been thwarted by the fossil fuel industry and governments that do their bidding. People of conscience have been left with nowhere else to turn.


The Sierra Club's position is one I relate to.

We live in a backwards copycat state that tries to introduce shit legislation that other state's shit legislators have already proposed (and most have been struck down) because they are so afeared of I-don't-even-know-what and it wastes so much time and money, it's embarrassing and hella frustrating.  Our need for innovation, art (and I don't mean no mustache print, UGH), and action is dire.  We shouldn't rely so heavily on the judicial system.

1 comment:

kmhd said...

It's disconcerting and infuriating how many steps backwards we are taking because some "leaders" are concerned about a specific margin of narrowed minded constituents who give religion a bad name. I'm not following.

Blog Archive